Monday, May 9, 2016

"The Power of Everyday Missionaries,"


This week was awesome just like any other week on the mission.  I think what makes the mission really fun for me is to see change in myself.  We make goals every week, and I think through making those and sticking to them, we can reach so much of our potential.
First, I am going to talk about Tuesday.  On Tuesday it was another one of our bike days (we are required to take at least two every week) and Sister Schaffner and I still don't know the area that well, so we biked for around 50 minutes just to get to an appointment with a 30-year-old lady named Yvonne, but turns out when we got there she wasn't there.  It was her second appointment with her, and she seemed really solid on the first lesson.  Anyway, after her dad said she wasn't home (nobody moves out of the house in Texas), we had to find some place to wash my hands because my bike chain fell off right before getting there.  We decided to walk to the library, and we found Yvonne sitting there at the library! We were able to explain how devastating it is when someone tells us one thing (like going to church and being there for the next appointment).  She continued to not have any interest, but then I was thinking that missionary work is just like starting relationships and having a bunch of break ups. It really is!
Anyway, on Wednesday, we had exchanges with the sister training leaders!  It is pretty hard to leave your companion even if it is just for a day, but I learned lots at the exchange, and one thing that I've started doing is getting more trust with the members.  Through their trust, they will be able to become member missionaries and bring their friends to church. In fact, I have been reading this book called "The Power of Everyday Missionaries," and one part that we want to share with every member is setting up a date to invite someone to talk to the missionaries.  M. Russell Ballard (an apostle) said if you set the date before the person, and talk about the gospel in as many situations as you can, you will find that person.
Then, on Friday, we had another exchange, and I was with Sister Holloway.  She is one of the sisters that lives with me. We found a pretty cool 18-year-old named Junior.  Do you know what that means?? He is YSA!! Woo hoo! We actually had an appointment with his sister, but turns out she had to go to jail.  Anyway, Junior had lots of questions for us, and he really confided in us.  I hope he will want to go to church this Sunday!  Then later, we had a lesson with a guy named Joe, and in quick lessons I like to show this little object lesson of burning a q-tip and having it burn on fire on one side and talking about that's what Satan can do to us.  Then, on the other side, I first dip the q-tip in hand sanitizer and the flame is only around the q-tip, but doesn't leave a mark.  Then I talk about as we go to church and read and pray, Satan doesn't control us.  Anyway, after sharing that, I had one of our members share his testimony, but instead of saying Steven, I said Satan when I referred to him.  Hahaha so funny!
On Saturday, we got to go play soccer, so we woke up at 5:45 AM and biked over to the soccer field.  I love playing soccer so much! During the game, someone crossed me the ball from a corner kick, then I kneed it up in the air, then I headered the ball into the goal.  It was awesome!   Then after studies, we got to wear jeans from around 11-5!! We first had a zone activity on the same farm that I was talking about last week, then we went to our branch president's house, and helped in his yard.  I love service projects so much, and an added bonus is we can wear jeans!!!
Then, yesterday, we went over to a huge ranch (a member's house) with 40 acres, and we ate the best dinner ever with smoked all-natural and organic chicken, swiss chard, corn tortillas, pork chops, and really good mashed potatoes.  It is so rare to get healthy food like that here in Texas! I was very happy :).  Also, I got to skype/talk on the phone to my family (because it was Mother's Day).  My Dad, however, decided to text me on my mission phone before I called.  He got it through my lds account, and I couldn't believe it.  I definitely didn't reply to that text because my mission phone is only supposed to be for mission purposes.  We had a pretty good laugh about it when I used the member's phone to call them a couple minutes later.
I love you all! I hope you have a great week :)

Enjoyed dinner with this family






No comments:

Post a Comment