Monday, June 6, 2016

Week of miracles and rain



Dear friends and family,

I feel like I am loving the mission more and more as I learn more and more just how to forget myself and help others.  This week was a crazy busy week.  On Wednesday, we only had a little bit of time to work since we had to grocery shop and email, but at least we found a really cool girl at the grocery store here.  She said she had recognized Sister Stanfill and I from before when were here, but after that we got to help paint someone's house, and then help set up for the Young Women fundraiser.

Then, on Thursday, we had a meeting for all the sister training leaders and zone leaders on the mission (about 26) and President Maluenda stressed the importance of studying the scriptures (from all of the standard works, not just the Book of Mormon).  I already have started reading from the New Testament and have learned so much! I especially like in Matthew chapter 3 that when Jesus Christ got baptized, it really took a lot of humility since He was already perfect.  Then, I thought of how important it is to be humble to obey because if you think about it, God knows more than we ever will know.  God gives us commandments for a reason even if we can't see them or understand them right away.  

Also, at the meeting, President Maluenda paid for all of us to go to a Chinese buffet.  Those are all over South Texas! I ate at a Chinese buffet twice last week actually! It was pretty good, but I got embarrassed because I spilled something all over my white shirt, AND President was there! Hopefully it comes out in the wash haha.  After the meeting was over, President had a meeting with just the sisters and told us how important it was to look pretty haha.  It is interesting because I thought I would never get into the habit of wearing make up every day, especially on the misison.
Anyway, Friday, we helped out at the fundraiser again, and Sister Stanfill and I got to see all the members we loved.  I even got to limbo during it! That was really fun.  

Then, when Saturday, came around, Sister Stanfill were really worried that the "key indicators" would be bad for the week, since we were serving the members a lot during the week, but with a little planning, it all works out.  We got to do splits with some sisters in the ward and that helped a lot.  Then, at the end of the night, a huge miracle happened.  This was when we were at 0 new investigators for the day, and we were walking down the street and saw this group of 5 high school aged girls.  After saying "hi," they even gave us a bouquet that they had picked while walking around the neighborhood.  It was really strange seeing them outside too because almost nobody hangs out outside here. It's crazy.  Anyway, after talking to them a little more, they asked us some questions about God's plan for them and others, and all were interested in having another lesson! Some of the girls said they would come to church the next day, but they didnt come :( we were pretty sad, but hopefully they do next Sunday when we teach them more.  Hopefully their families will be interested too!

Sunday was great because it felt like I was back in my family ward! Everyone is so unbelievably welcoming and I even got to translate for one of the recent converts (my favorite member).

I am so glad to be back up here too because it rained pretty much every day and down in Harlingen it is just scorching hot ALL the time.

Anyway, love you all! Have a great week :)
Love,
Sister Findlay


No comments:

Post a Comment